Thursday, May 9, 2013

Gestational Diabetes

I apparently have it.

It makes me angry. I eat very healthy (most of the time). I'm pretty sure it's because I had a banana strawberry smoothie the night before (literally only a banana and four strawberries) that caused my reading to be a bit off.

2 to 10% of women can get gestational diabetes during pregnancy, if this is something you didn't have a problem with before the pregnancy then it should go away very quickly after the pregnancy. It can cause the baby to be very large at birth, a higher wait than normal babies. 8to12 pounders! ;)  Many women who do develop gestational diabetes go on to have very healthy babies. But if your baby does fall into the overly range, it could lead to birthing issues. Something that your doctor will of course go over with you if that is the case. DO NOT overly worry about something that may not have happened to you yet.

So far what stresses me out the most is having to prick my fingers to draw blood for the testers.

What can you do if you do have gestational diabetes?

  • Have a healthy diet plan. (I'll be posting quite a few recipes)
  • Eat a very low carb diet.
  • No more pops (I don't like soda-pop so this won't be difficult for me)
  • Exercise (don't over exert yourself! Cardio and light weight lifting; Consult your doctor)
  • Drink plenty of water!!
  • Juices: if you drink juices or if your going to drink juices make sure they are organic and low-to-no sugars!! But please always go to water or fruit flavored water!

Having gestational diabetes can put you at risk for diabetes in the future if you are not careful. Because you have a little one to worry about now make sure you continue your healthy living. Exercise and eating healthy is very important whether or not you are worried about diabetes.


When you go in for you glucose-screen test you are going to get to drink a very sickeningly sweet concoction. I chose punch over orange. If you ever used to party in your college or rebellious teen years, do what I did: CHUG. I barely tasted it and it was gone in about 5seconds.

Hopefully your results will come back negative!!

If not here is what you'll get:
The whole kit and caboodle: a reader, strips, needles, drops to clear the machine, and a carrier

Strips to test blood

The needle is TINY!! But I am a big baby. Took me almost 40minutes to do it this morning.

What's nice is you can adjust the depth of the needle. I have mine on the lowest setting, it barely hurts and I barely notice!


Good luck girls!!