Monday, June 18, 2012

A man and his dog

I'm sitting here in the master bedroom of my grandparents house with my grandfather.

As I first entered the room I was greeted with a pungent smell. I can't quite describe it other than a mix between the smell of the elderly, the lingering of his pipe tobacco and what none of us like to admit, he'd been change shortly before. Yet as I sit here I've grown used to it. My grandfather lighting his tobacco pipe and bringing the room back to the smell I love.
You have to admit, the smell of a tobacco pipe makes you feel at home and think about warm christmas' in front of the fire place surrounded by family. Or thanksgiving dinner touching elbows with those you love, playfully fighting over the cranberry sauce. All those memories and more are held in that simple puff of tobacco smoke.
I have learned that although my grandfather does not drink beer he does prefer fat tire ale. His favorite day time drink is a bloody Mary and after six o'clock he prefers a martini. Although the times may vary.

All my life my grandparents have had springer spaniels as a part of the family and I've loved them all. Although I've only lived through three. It has been the first and this current one, Duke, that have cause me to fall in love with them. On my return home I'll be looking into bringing one into my home. Preferably I'd rather go to pound to find one but either way I will have one.

I missed too many opportunities to learn details about my deceased grandmother. Something I will no longer take for granted with my living grandparents. Just as I strongly urge all of you, even if you are not fond of your remaining few.

No comments:

Post a Comment