Friday, February 22, 2013

'What makes you itch?'

I've asked myself that hundreds of time.

The answer is that I do not want to work in the corporate world for the rest of my life. I want to do what I like, better yet love to do. But I have felt stuck. As we often do at young ages trying to make our way, our mark on the world. We become stuck trying to make money, trying to 'get a head in the world'. Which starts a fantastic circle of DEBT.

We often find our selves in debt to our eye balls, over our heads in the negatives in the reds. All to impress others, most of whom we don't actually like.

Then one day in the midst of my troubles. On a day that I was terribly torn trying to decide what I want to do with my life. Because now it is not just my life, now there is a child with me. Everything I do effects this little one. This heavenly gift.

I have found my self so torn that I have a loss of appetite, a want to sit in a corner and cry or just zone out and think about that little speck that is on the floor. How did that get there? Who did it fall off of? What had they done to have such a little speck on themselves? What if that little speck had a colony of "Whos" on it? Like the one Horton found.

Should I join the corporate world? Working a 9to5, in an office with a cubicle or if I get lucky maybe some windows? Same thing day after day after day? Office parties where people get drunk, cheat, vomit on themselves and over all leave a bad mark on their reputation. Sure the corporate world is great for those who have the drive for it, so please don't take my previous remarks the wrong way. There are tons of great business people who not only are good at their job but they also enjoy it. Even though I would get a few holidays and of course most weekends off, I can't see myself being the happiest at a corporate job.

What I really want to do is to be able to make an impact on people lives. Not one that lands me in the newspapers or on channel 40/29. Small impacts. I want to be able to have the time to volunteer, to bond with my child and be there for them. I want to be able to impact other students the way I was impacted by most of my teachers. I want to be able to write, and hopefully one day have a book published.

I want to be an English teacher; specifically high school, on a Native American Reservation. That, that is what will make me happy. It will be frustrating, it will take a lot of patience and a lot of creativity. But that is my drive. God placed that calling on my life, one that I can't shake or ignore.

So here is the video. Maybe it will impact you the way it impacted me. Not only does Alan Watts have handsome a deep voice that grabs your attention soothing you, but his words will hit you. They'll cause you to actually think.


 
 
 
So dear readers, tell me. "What if money was no object?"
Please feel free to comment below or email me.
 
 
I hope you have a fantastic weekend. I look forward to reading your thoughts!!

1 comment: