Friday, May 3, 2013

Steel Cut Oats Stove Top Breakfast

I have fallen in love with Steel Cut Oats.

So has SweetPea ;)

Still love my regular oat meal, but steel cut is so tasty. I like to mix mine a little different:

1cup water
1cup milk
1/2cup Steel Cut Oats



It's not what the instructions say, try each way so that you can see which one you like the most.

I also add maybe a teaspoon of Agave Nectar... Really I just draw a pretty 'W' or 'M' as the oats start absorbing the water-milk mixture.

What I really like about this recipe is that you can prepare other food (or get ready for school like I did this morning...) while it cooks.
I tend to eat decent sized portions, so this recipe amount feeds me with a bit left over.

For toppings, I choose frozen fruit/fresh fruit and depending on my sweet tooth a little more agave.

(that is ice, not sugar)

This is great as a quick breakfast that you can make extras of to eat on another morning. I have a ton more Steel Cut recipes so keep your eyes open!


My favorite milk and a few necessary ingredients! The agave I bought on sale at Walmart, and the oats I purchased at Aldi's. Aldi's doesn't always carry them, but don't worry any natural food store does!! I love the 'Memory Lane' milk for several reasons: *it's from a local farmer in Missouri *comes in a glass bottle that the grocery store will give you money to bring back (causing the next milk purchase to be cheaper!!)

Finally getting paid to be green. :)



Most regular Steel cut oats aren't gluten free if this is a worry for you, but good news is several companies are beginning to make gluten free steel cut oats! I am very excited to try them.