Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Winning the Lottery

Or just making it big in general.
What would you do?
A few weeks ago my Pastor mentioned this during a sermon. and he hoped none of his congregation ever won the lottery. Everyone laughed, but I silently felt a tinge of agreement. It seems as though 90% of lottery winners inherit the 'lottery curse'.   Every now and then it pops into my mind, 'just what would I do if I won? Or made it big?'

First and foremost I would make contributions to my church as well as eleven other organizations. Twelve total contributions because I have this thing with even numbers. I would not hesitate with this at all. Of course it would happen after i was able to stop crying from joy.
Second I would pay off my bits of debt and hire a lawyer for one small bit of debt I would greatly like gone.
Third I would set aside two accounts: One for my daughters college costs. The other a much smaller amount for a trust fund. I don't want her to stress about bills but I also don't want her to feel entitled. Stipulation is that she will have to have a part time job working at least 25hrs a week.
Fourth I would help my parents with my step-dads medical bills/house renovations. Not a whole lot but just enough.
I would spend two weeks in California with my family and two weeks in Oregon with my family.
After paying the remainder of my rental lease off I would search for several acres of land to purchase. Then find a builder who will build exactly what I want, one that hopefully has the same frame of mind I do. 'Exactly what I want' is a bit complicated and very difficult to explain shortly. Let's just say it's very eco AND environmentally friendly. Hippy style! ;) Once building is complete I would fill it with 90% thrift shop items.

Brand new car? No. I would either pay off the one I have now, or trade it in for a slightly new in years model with less miles. Pruis! And a truck.. A truck would be needed for the small farm I would have...^^^
I would take several homeless folks out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Those that wanted to better themselves and try to acquire a job I would take shopping for several new articles of clothing.

I would take several kids from different schools, who parents are having hard times, our on a shopping spree. School supplies, clothes and of course some groceries. :)

I would be able to worry less about college.

I have always wanted to own my own boutique. In downtown (one of them) there is a little shop up for rent. Of course whenever I make it big (if ever), it won't be for rent, but I will have an opportunity to find another little downtown shop.

Travel. But not like you think, not at first. This travel would be to four or five different Native American Reservations, there I would help at least two families at each. Rebuild, build, or even just monetarily, whatever they need.

I know this sounds like a load of bull. After all why would I be so eager to give so much money away? Because it was never mine to start with, it would be a gift. So why not make sure the gift keeps giving? If I ever get big I promise these things will happen. You can hold me to it. Now I won't get big from the lottery as I never play, but I can always dream one day a book of mine might be published.

Please do not think I made this post to toot my own horn. First of all I am no where near being able to do a lot of these things. Second these things are all very important to me and I stand by my last paragraph: let such a gift keep giving.


What would you do if you won the lottery or made it big?

No comments:

Post a Comment