Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Broccoli Quesadilla??

I would like to think that this will be toddler approved. Because I love it. And if I love it, SweetPea is going to have to eat it. Right? ;)

About a two weeks ago, I bought some broccoli to make Broccoli Cheddar Bites (don't worry at some point I will make this and give you the recipe!!). Needless to say I have not made the bites. I would like to blame it on the fact that my shredder is still lost in transition from moving. Either way I needed to use it, wanted to use it and am kinda craving it.

On the way home from work the thought of having some tacos crossed my mind. Alas I had not set any meat out to thaw... So that won't work.

Hey! I love cheese. I love quesadillas... I also was craving broccoli... experiment time!

Now I always (as of the past 6 months) use Coconut oil, much healthier. So keep that in mind whenever I mention oil..

*I took one smaller head of broccoli, cut it up and attempted to make the pieces smaller.
*While I was doing that I put a pan on the stove on medium with about two small tablespoons (literally the small tablespoons. I really need to get measuring spoons.) of oil in the pan to heat.
*As that was heating I added red pepper flakes, about four shakes I love spicy. Use as many or as little as you want. About 2shakes of seasoned salt. Use whatever spices you want! :)
*Add the chopped broccoli to the pan. Allow it to cook, almost like sautéing. Do not burn it or over cook the broccoli.
                            I allowed mine to become a beautiful bright green.
(no photo editing)
 
 
*As the broccoli was getting closer to done I sliced a few pieces off of my cheddar cheese. Since I don't have a shredder using my knife to make small pieces worked just fine. You get crafty when you're poor, makes good stories. ;)
             (I use white cheese. Always. Manufacturers put color in the yellow cheese. Why?? There is NO need...Sorry a small rant...)
*I grabbed a skillet to toast the tortillas. After heating about a half a tablespoon of oil I put one of the tortillas in, then topped it with mah cheese. It took maybe a minute and a half or so til the cheese started getting melty.
*Placing the broccoli on top of the cheesy tortilla I let it sit in the pan a few seconds.
*Using a spatula I lifted the crispy tortilla up and placed a new one underneath. Returning the cooked tortilla goodies side down.
*Let the new tortilla sit about a minute or two on the heat. Lightly pushing the tortillas together using the spatula. No need for any burns! ;)
 
 


Look at how tasty it is!!! Ohmygosh it was great!! This will make a great snack or a great small lunch/dinner with a good healthy side!



Ingredients:

(these depend on how many people your feeding. Ingredients below is enough for two quesadillas)
  • One small head of broccoli, cooked and chopped.
  • Desired spices
  • 4tortillas
  • 1cup cheese (split into two, one half cup per quesadilla)
  • coconut oil

I'll be making these again very soon...Probably with some cauliflower tortillas...mmmm


Eat on my dears, eat on!

No comments:

Post a Comment