Thursday, May 16, 2013

First Craft of the New Apartment

Guess what?? I did my first real craft for the new apartment!! It's done one thirds of the way, but the other two thirds will be a piece of cake and I should have it done before Monday!! That's actually a little hopeful. I'll tell you why in just a second...

I'm waiting to post up photos of the new apartment until I have a bit more done. I'm going to go room by room, and show you before and after pictures. Maybe give you a little inspiration as well!

So here we have it! Before it was a wayward lost unwanted entertainment center.



 A family was going to use it as a play set for their girls, but to my luck, they never got around to it and I was lucky enough to purchase it for $5. (blessed) At first I wanted to use it in SweetPeas room as a changing table, sadly though I am too short for it to be a good changing table. At 5dollars it was a deal I really couldn't pass up!!

*First I washed it down with a rag and some water! Very important step is to get as much dust and dirt off as possible before painting.

Top and middle...

My poor rag

after washing the whole thing!!

 

 


*Then I removed the door and the little magnetic latch. On the smaller opening to the left there was a piece of very cheap barely a grade above cardboard, it was very easy to remove. :) There is also a shelf and the little brads that hold it in place that was taken out as well.

This was at the top of the left hand side, since the door is missing, its new home is the trash. I did keep the screws though, for just incase purposes in the future.




*Next I put a notice on facebook to see if anyone wanted to stop by and help pain this bad boy. Partially because it would be fun, as well as because I am pregnant not really supposed to be around a lot of paint chemical smells.

*I laid out some sheets that I could care less if they ended up with paint on them. Only one ended up with paint anyways. Then moved the entertainment center onto the sheets. Originally I was going to lay the sheets out on what little patio I have, but there isn't much room there.




*My friend DanLY volunteered to help me paint!! So after I finished my run to WallyWorld we got started! I was originally looking for Zinsser Primer, but the location I went to did not have it in store and I ended up going with 1-2-3, which is also supposed to be able to be used without having to sand. We did two coats of primer.



*Then we did two coats of paint. I went with Antique White by ColorSpace (cheaper). We probably could have gone with a third coat in a few places. I don't mind the worn look it has though. OH, don't forget to paint the doors and the shelves! We almost did.



While we waited for the last coat of primer to dry, DanLY hug my curtains for me! It's sad how happy that made me!!! I've been dying to have them hung for weeks!



Here is the (one third of the way) finished product!! I'm really excited to get it all finished. I'm going to be putting chevron on the top as well as hand painting a peacock on to the right hand side. I've already purchased a few plastic storage tubs that I will be decorating as well.




I'm going to use it as storage in my oversized bathroom for tons of stuff. From make-up to shaving supplies to bath time toys for SweetPea and probably to hold some extra clothe diapers. There is still some extra room that I'm going to play with, probably stock up on and store some bath time paints!!